Monday, May 2, 2011

Unnatural by Michael Griffo

Source: Publisher
In the town of Eden in northwestern England stands the exclusive boarding school known as Archangel Academy. Ancient and imposing, it’s a place filled with secrets. Just like its students…
For Michael Howard, being plucked from his Nebraska hometown and sent thousands of miles away is as close as he’s ever come to a miracle. In Weeping Water, he felt trapped, alone. At Archangel Academy, Michael belongs. And in Ciaran, Penry, and especially Ciaran’s enigmatic half-brother Ronan, Michael finds friendship deeper than he’s ever known.
But Michael’s only beginning to understand what makes the Academy so special. Ronan is a vampire—part of a hybrid clan who are outcasts even among other vampires. Within the Academy’s confines exists a ruthless world of deadly rivalries and shifting alliances, of clandestine love and forbidden temptations. And soon Michael will confront the destiny that brought him here—and a danger more powerful than he can imagine…
I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't. I didn't feel that I could connect to any of the characters. Micheal was written as a professional victim that never stood up for himself or had any responsibility for what happened. It just annoyed the hell out of me. Ciaran was pissed off, if he didn't get his way, which was a lot. The villain of this book was way over the top and more made me laugh then anything else. The plot seemed to be over complicated and the style that it was written didn't work for me. The POV switched within a paragraph and I would have to reread something two to three times to get the point. The head jump was too much for me to handle. I will give this book, some points for originality in the premise... mermaid vampires, anyone? The mythology in this world was interesting, but wasn't enough to redeem this book for me. Other reviewers have liked this book, so I recommend checking out their reviews before making a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin