Thursday, September 30, 2010

Interview with Dia Reeves

Dia Reeves is the author of Bleeding Violet and the forthcoming Slice of Cherry. When she isn't writing, she is a librarian. Her books are in the fictional town of Portero, which is based in East Texas, where she grew up. Bleeding Violet is amazingly original and Slice of Cherry appears to be just as unique. Here is an interview that I had with her.
1. Bleeding Violet is about Hanna who can appear smart and charming, while other times she is impulsive and unpredictable. What inspired you to make Hanna such a vibrant and changing character?
Well, ostensibly it's because she's bipolar and has mood swings, but mostly I think it's just that she's human. People don't behave one way all the time. It's like Hanna says in the book--people are complex.
2. Bleeding Violet is one of the most original books that I have read. Where do you come up with your ideas?
Thank you! The ideas are just there in my head, millions of them swimming around like tadpoles. Every now and then I go fishing. *shrugs*
3. You have Slice of Cherry coming out next year. Are there any other books that you are working on?
SoC comes out in January, and then in May, a short story I wrote will be featured in an anthology called Corsets and Clockwork. Right now as we speak, I'm working on a third Portero novel about a girl who was born without a heart. After I finish that one, I have three other books waiting in the queue. I like to have things lined up, so that I know what to focus on next.
4. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about writing?
Favorite: the act of creation. I like making up stuff. It's deeply satisfying.
Unfavorite: deadlines. I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like polishing my work. Not saying I don't need deadlines--I have a tendency to hang on to things and not want to show them to people; deadlines force me to let things go. I still hate them, though.

5. You are always posting music videos on your blog. What are some of your favorite artists? Also how does music effect your writing?
I like too many people in too many genres to pick favorites, but a sampling would be: Funkadelic, Tricky, Massive Attack, Arctic Monkeys. If it's dark and trippy, I'll probably like it. But I like bright happy crap too like The B-52's and Weezer so...I'll listen to anything that sounds cool. Music helps me in my writing by getting me into the right headspace. Like while I was writing Slice of Cherry, I listened to a lot of old-timey music from the 1920s and 1930s because that's what the sisters in the story were listening to. They're sorta stuck in the past, and the music helped to set the mood.
6. Do you think being a librarian has helped you as a writer?
Not really. They're very separate professions. Librarians work with the public all day, and writers work alone. Two different skill sets.
7. Is there anything that you would like to add?
I'm having a Goodreads giveaway for a signed, finished copy of Slice of Cherry. So if anyone's interested, sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin