Thursday, January 28, 2010

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Rating:
Characters: 14/20

Plot: 15/20

Originality: 17/20

Writing: 17/20

Recommendation: 16/20

Overall: 79/100 or C
Cameron Smith is verily making it through high school. His sister overshadows him with his want for perfection. Then he contracts the human form of mad cow disease, which is Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. He becomes that center of attention for his family. While in the hospital, Cameron is persuaded by an angel to search for a cure that will save the world or maybe he is having a vivid hallucination that is from the disease. He goes on a road trip with Gonzo, who is a neurotic dwarf or Balder, a Norse god that is cursed to be a yard gnome. On the road trip to Disney World, they learn about things that they never though that they would know, such as true love and the string theory.

I found Cameron to be an interesting character. I liked how he grew over the book, as though he was on a epic quest. Dulcie was an awesome character and I loved her. She was such a fun character. Gonzo and Balder added the comedy and were fun and great characters. The plot was a bit slow, but it was fun. I got confused at the end and with that all of the hallucinations. It was also funny at times. Bray definitely created a original book that was one of a kind. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the book, Bray is a brilliant writer that created a fantastic story that was full of fantasy mixed with the contemporary world. I think you would like this book, if you like a book with an epic quest.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! That's basically how I felt about Going Bovine. I love Libba Bray. She's an excellent writer but this book had its highs and lows for me. Cameron is definitely a distinct character but some of the hallucinatons/road trip stuff got tiring to me after awhile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin