Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Girl in The Arena by Lise Haines

Rating:
Characters: 15/20
Plot: 13/20
Originality: 16/20
Writing: 14/20
Recommendation: 13/20
Overall: 76/100 or C
Lyn is a neo-gladiator’s daughter. Her mother actually married seven of them, the first six having been killed in the ring. The rules require her mother to never marry again if her seventh husband dies in the ring. Her father has an upcoming fight and the whole house is on edge. Lyn gives stepfather Tommy her dowry bracelet for luck, and when his opponent Uber kills him, Uber takes the bracelet and wears it. According to the rules, Lyn must then marry him...
When I heard about a book called Girl in the Arena. I expected the Girl to actually be a gladiator. I was disappointed to find out this wasn't the case. Lyn was not relatable to me. She was constantly complaining and informing you that she is a pacifist. Uber on the other hand, was developed and actually a bit interesting. The plot was rather boring. There were only two fights in the very beginning and the very end. I felt that their should have been more. The plot also resolves too quickly and it felt like the ending was rushed. It had bits of originality, but I felt that this it wasn't developed well. The writing was okay, but it was rather confusing how the chapters were formed and dialogue was put together. I honestly don't recommend this book, if you want to read it, I would suggest going to the library before buying Girl in The Arena.

4 comments:

  1. I agree! I was totally disappointed in this one. It had so much potential! Below is a link to my review...

    http://bookwormnation.blogspot.com/2009/11/girl-in-arena-by-lisa-haines.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame I saw that funny youtube.com skit and wanted to read this ever since. Hmmm...my hopes are dashed. :( I will go on and reads Kath's. - Parajunkee

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad you didn't like it. This book is not my style anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reviewed this just yesterday. While I didn't hate this I agree with all of your points. I liked Uber more than I liked Lyn. I wanted more fighting too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin