Thursday, July 18, 2013

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Source: Library
Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.
When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.
As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy? 
A Michael L. Printz Award Honor book that was called "a fiendishly-plotted mind game of a novel" in The New York TimesCode Name Verity is a visceral read of danger, resolve, and survival that shows just how far true friends will go to save each other.

I wasn't sure if this book would live up to the hype that I had heard, but it did. The thing that attracted me most in the story is that it was about friendship and what people would do for each other. It was also about trying to find your place in a world torn apart. I loved both of the main characters. Verity is a strong, fearless, and likable character that grows on you. Maggie is a strong character that is unsure of her place in the world. I loved her love of flying and her devotion to it. Their friendship made this story so much more intense and gorgeous. The other characters in the book are complex and you learn a lot about them. I liked that none of them were simple, but there were several forces that came into play to every decision. I began to care for many of them.
One of the best things in Code Name Verity, is the WWII Britain. I could feel the intensity and the fear of the unknown. Even though I know the History, I still became caught up in what would happen next.  It was just so well done, because I understood the terror. The plot was very fast pace and exciting. I had to know what happened next. Everything in this book linked together flawlessly. This book is extremely original and unlike anything that I have read. Elizabeth Wein's writing is gorgeous and spectacular. I regret not reading this book sooner. It was just such a spectacular book and honestly, I can't say more. It is the kind of book that you need to read to understand what I am talking about. It is clever with many twist and turns. I recommend this to anyone that wants an astonishing and remarkable read. It is timeless and made me think so much about myself. Seriously go read this book now, if you haven't! 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely review! I loved this one too, as you saw. :) I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. My sister is reading it now!!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin