Monday, September 26, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Source: Publisher
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.
When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.
Stephanie Perkins has a fantastic gift with words and stories. I loved Anna and the French Kiss and found Lola and the Boy Next Door to be just as amazing. Lola seems to be eccentric and over the top. At least she seems that way at the beginning, but really she is a down to earth girl that really cares about her dads and Lindsey and has amazing plans for her future. I could really relate to her and totally loved Lola. I wasn't a huge fan of Max. He seemed like a jerk at times and their relationship was hugely just psychical. Lindsey was a great friend to Lola and I liked that she supported Lola, even when she didn't agree with her decisions. Lola's dads, Nathan and Andy were such characters. I loved how protective they were and that they were such a huge part of her life. For example, Lola had to check in with them every hour when she was with her boyfriend. I could relate to this, because my mom did that with me until I was 18. They were amazing parents. I love Cricket. He was such a sweet and amazing guy. Cricket and Lola were great friends and I liked that it slowly developed into more. There was so much tension between both of them that helped sell their feelings for each other. I knew that Anna and St. Clair would be in Lola and the Boy Next Door, but I didn't realize how instrumental, they would be to the plot. I loved how sweet their romance was in the book and that it also showed some of the sacrifices that they made to be with each other. The plot is full of tension, romance, and heartbreak. Every part of the book excited and interested me. Like with Anna and the French Kiss, I didn't want this book to end. I loved how detailed San Francisco was and I felt like I was in that city. Stephanie Perkins creates complex characters with flaws of their own, a exciting story that engages you along the way, and amazing writing filled with love and humor. There is so much that I love about this book that it is hard to explain. I definitely recommend this book to fans of Anna and the French Kiss and Sarah Dessen. This book is a must read. I can't wait for Isla and the Happily Ever After and whatever else Stephanie Perkins writes next.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous you've already been able to read this! I loved Anna & The French Kiss (I'm planning to re-read it this weekend) and, like you, will probably read anything and everything Stephanie Perkins writes next.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin