Friday, May 14, 2010

Interview with Heather Davis

Heather Davis is the amazing author of The Clearing and Never Cry Werewolf. She is a fellow Washingtonian, born and raised here. She has been writing since she was very young and has been a finalist for the Golden Heart award several times. Heather is also a co-founder of http://www.booksboysbuzz.com/ a popular teen fiction blog she shares with five other YA authors. Visit her at http://www.heatherdavisbooks.com/. This is my second interview with her. I hope you enjoy it.
1. The main character Amy was abused by her ex-boyfriend. What inspired you to incorporate it into The Clearing?
It’s a pretty common experience for a lot of women and girls. I wanted to show that you can survive emotional, mental, and physical abuse. It’s important to know that you can regain your strength, and that you deserve better. You are special.
2. Your main character travels back into the 1940's. What time periods would you want to travel to the most?
I think the 1940s have always interested me. I’ll pick them, and for fun, how about the years between the first world wars -- if I can live in Paris with James Joyce and Gertrude Stein.
3. Both of your books take place in the pacific northwest. What is your favorite thing about that setting?
I think there is a mystical quality about the Pacific Northwest. We have foggy shorelines, mossy forests, and remote, snowy mountains. Who knows what happens in all of those hidden places? I’m constantly inspired by this landscape.
4. What fictional character in any book can you relate to the most?
I always liked Jo March in Little Women. She wrote stories first to entertain her family of sisters (like me) and then used them to gain a little independence.
5. What are some of your favorite books?
That’s no fair, Sarah! There are way too many. I have special love for The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and recently, I loved Need, by Carrie Jones.
6. What do you think is your largest influence, while writing?
My family and my experiences in life. I think I bring a lot of real-life emotion to my stories, even if they are fantastical.
7. Is there anything that you would like to add?
Just that I am really grateful to you for doing this interview and posting your reviews. Thanks for being such an amazing supporter of YA, Sarah!

2 comments:

  1. The Clearing! I just finished that one and I really enjoyed the story and the uniqueness to it! :) Wonderful interview. I cant wait to see what comes next for Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky you got to interview her! I absolutely LOVED The Clearing! Definitely one of my top 10 favorites for this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin