Friday, July 24, 2009

An Interview with Elizabeth Scott...

Elizabeth Scott grew up in a town so small it didn't even have a post office, though it did boast an impressive cattle population. She's sold hardware and panty hose and had a memorable three-day stint in the dot-com industry, where she learned that she really didn't want a career burning CDs. She has written Bloom, Perfect You, Stealing Heaven, Living Dead Girl, Something Maybe, and Love You Hate You Miss You. She lives just outside Washington, DC, with her husband; firmly believes you can never own too many books; and would love it if you visited her website.

1. You have said in a few interviews, that you wouldn’t like to write a sequel to a currently published book. Would you ever consider writing a series for any future books?
If an idea hit me that could be turned into a series, and if I could find an interested publisher, then absolutely!
2. What is easiest and hardest for you as a writer?
Easiest: answering emails from readers (LOVE!) and first drafts.
Hardest: getting that first rewrite done (the others come easier after that)

3. What novels are you currently working on?
I've got three books coming out in 2010--in March, Simon Pulse will release The Unwritten Rule, about a girl who falls for her best friend's boyfriend. In June, HarperCollins will be releasing Miracle, which is about a girl who survives a plane crash. And then, in the fall (I don't have an exact date yet), Dutton will be releasing Grace, which is about a girl who is a suicide bomber.

4. What is a normal writing day for you?
I get up around 7, answer emails, write my blog entry if I'm doing one for the day, and then take care of other things like addressing packages, going to the post office, updating my website--that sort of thing. Then, if I'm lucky, I have time to exercise. If I don't, I dive right into whatever edits/copy edits/page proofs are waiting for me. And then I write until my husband gets home from work.
5. Which one of your characters do you relate to the most?
I can relate to all of them in some way--I have to because otherwise I wouldn't be able to write about them.

6. What are some of your favorite YA books? Currently and as a teen?
I think there's so many great young adult novels out there right now-- we're really living in a golden age. But two novels that I don't think get nearly enough love are She's So Money by Cherry Cheva and Fresh Off The Boat by Melissa de la Cruz. When I was a teen, young adult novels weren't anything like they are now--I read a lot of Judy Blume when I was younger, but had moved on to adult books by the time I was a teenager.

7. Other then writing and reading, what activities or hobbies do you enjoy?
I really and truly like watching tv. I know some authors are not for it, but I like it! I also enjoy spending time with my husband and dogs and my friends.
8. If you could go to any era in time, what time frame would you choose?
I have to say, I'm pretty happy right where I am :-)
9. Is there anything that you would like to add?
For those of you who read this--what would *you* like to know?

6 comments:

  1. Great interview!!

    I knew she had The Unwritten Rule coming out, next year, but THREE. WOW! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool interview. Very interesting to read.

    ~Tashi

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 more novels in 2010?!? Elizabeth Scott is my hero, for real. Great interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only knew about The Unwritten Rule too-I'm glad to know there will three books to look forward to! Elizabeth Scott is awesome! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like her every book The Unwritten Rule,Something, Maybe,The Intellectual Culture of Puritan Women, 1558- 1680 ,Living Dead Girl ,Stealing Heaven ,Love You Hate You Miss You ,Free Pass ,Perfect You ,bloom,Spin the Bottle and many more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you sarah for post this interview

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin