Saturday, July 9, 2011

The World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Source: Netgalley
The heart-wrenching companion to the bestselling novels Life As We Knew It and The Dead & The Gone.
It’s been a year since a meteor collided with the moon, catastrophically altering the earth’s climate. Miranda and her two brothers spend their days scavenging for food and household items, while their mother stays at home and desperately tries to hold on to the ordinary activities of their previous life. But they all know that nothing is truly normal in this surreal new world they live in.
The struggle to survive intensifies when Miranda’s father and stepmother arrive with a baby and three strangers in tow. One of the newcomers is Alex Morales, and as Miranda’s complicated feelings for him turn to love, his plans for his future thwart their relationship. Then a devastating tornado hits the town of Howell, and Miranda makes a decision that will change their lives forever.
I really enjoyed the first two books and was excited for the third. Miranda was such a strong and fierce girl in the first book that would do anything for survival. In this book, she seemed more weak and vulnerable. For example her relationship with Alex is anything but healthy, and I found it to be irritating. The plot of The World We Live In was exciting and kept me entertained, but I felt that it was missing that spark in the first two books. I think that it is a very realistic account of what would happen, which made me entertain me more. It is also a very original account of a dystopian world. Another problem that I had, is the sudden ending. I wish that I knew where the characters were going. I really hope there is another book. I just didn't feel at peace with what happened. Pfeffer is an amazing writer. Overall, I suggest this book to someone that wants something different in Dystopian books.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin