Friday, July 22, 2011

Falling for Hamlet by Michelle Ray

Source: Publisher
Meet Ophelia: a blonde, beautiful high-school senior and long-time girlfriend of Prince Hamlet of Denmark. Her life is dominated not only by her boyfriend's fame and his overbearing family, but also by the paparazzi who hound them wherever they go. As the devastatingly handsome Hamlet spirals into madness after the mysterious death of his father, the King, Ophelia rides out his crazy roller coaster life, and lives to tell about it. In live television interviews, of course.
Passion, romance, drama, humor, and tragedy intertwine in this compulsively readable debut novel, told by a strong-willed, modern-day Ophelia.
Falling for Hamlet stays pretty faithful to Hamlet, but brings enough originality to a contemporary story that makes it really exciting and fun to read. Hamlet was an asshole for parts of the book, but at other times he was really sweet and kind to Ophelia. Horatio was a great friend to Ophelia and Hamlet and I liked how Ray really fleshed him out well. I understand Ophelia a lot, she really loves Hamlet and thinks what she is doing is the best things that she can do at the moment. The plot is full of drama, which is no surprise. I liked how Ray used the Police and Talk Show to tell part of the story and that the rest comes from Ophelia herself. Ray's writing was clear and easy to understand, which definitely different then parts of Shakespeare's prose. She expands on complex characters and makes them her own. This story is addictive and a must for fans of Hamlet. I really enjoyed this story and can't wait for more from Ray.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED Falling for Hamlet! Though maybe I'm biased - I do ADORE Hamlet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really adore this cover - but I've never read HAMLET (original), but know roughly what it is about. I guess this might be a good excuse to do so before I even pick up this title! I'm glad you think FALLING FOR HAMLET is a decent re-make of the original story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin