Tuesday, August 10, 2010

You by Charles Benoit

Rating:
Characters: 20/20
Plot: 19/20
Originality: 20/20
Writing: 18/20
Recommendation: 19/20
Overall: 96/100 or A
Source: Publisher
This wasn't the way it was supposed to go.
You're just a typical fifteen-year-old sophomore, an average guy named Kyle Chase. This can't be happening to you. But then, how do you explain all the blood? How do you explain how you got here in the first place?
There had to have been signs, had to have been some clues it was coming. Did you miss them, or ignore them? Maybe if you can figure out where it all went wrong, you can still make it right. Or is it already too late? Think fast, Kyle. Time's running out. How did this happen?
You is the riveting story of fifteen-year-old Kyle and the small choices he does and doesn't make that lead to his own destruction.
In his stunning young-adult debut, Charles Benoit mixes riveting tension with an insightful—and unsettling—portrait of an ordinary teen in a tale that is taut, powerful, and shattering.
You is unlike any book that I have ever read. You is told in second person, which I have never see in a Young Adult Novel. I found that part of the book to be really original, because Benoit is trying to capture that all teens have felt like Kyle has. Kyle is a really well developed character. He is a hoodie, meaning that no one expects anything from him, which is what he does. I find that aspect of the book to be so depressing. I mean who would want to know that everyone could care less about them. Also the part about him being bored at school reflects how the education system is failing some people. He also can't tell the girl that he like his feelings. That is until Zack shows up. The plot of You seems rather normal for most teens, but the subplots help make the book extraordinary and fabulous. The plot is suspenseful and gripping. At times, it was so gut wrenching that I had to take a breathe as I read this. Benoit is unlike any writer that I have ever experienced, because instead of being on the sidelines, you are the character. His book is one of a kind and I highly suggest that you buy You as soon as humanly possible.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this book! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for this one for quite some time and I love your review. I don't think I've seen a bad review for it, so I'm definitely excited for the release.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin