Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan & Rachel Cohn,

Rating:
Characters: 18/20
Plot: 19/20
Originality: 20/20
Writing: 18/20
Recommendation: 19/20
Overall: 94/100 or A
Source: Borrowed

Lily's parents have decided to go to Fiji, her Grandpa is in Florida proposing to his girlfriend, and her brother Langston is infatuated with his new boyfriend Benny, so she finds herself alone during Christmas. That is until Langston makes a Book of Dares and places it on Lily's favorite shelf at The Strand. Dash lied to both of his parents in order to get rid of them for the holidays. Shortly before Christmas, Dash finds the red moleskin notebook and finishes the dares. But it doesn't end there, Lily and Dash trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook. Will they be able to connect outside of the Book of Dares or will it fall flat?
I could really connect to Lily. She was very sweet and naive at times. I really liked her. Dash is my dream boy. He likes books as much as I do and was also very sweet, yet pessimistic at times. I just adored him. The other characters that were minor were all developed well. Boomer was loyal to Dash, just as Cousin Mark was to Lily. Langston and Benny's relationship was cute. Lily's Grandpa reminded me of how my brother and dad are about boys being anywhere near me.
The plot was full of crazy antics and fun from the dare. I could not stop laughing at times. I also loved how the setting was all over New York. I think that this books was really original and unlike anything that I have ever read. David Levithan and Rachel Cohn's writing style is engaging and likable. I could not stop reading and lines in this book will stay with me for a while. This book really touched my heart and I highly recommend it to anyone.

3 comments:

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin