Friday, August 13, 2010

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June by Robin Benway

Rating:
Characters: 19/20
Plot: 18/20
Originality: 18/20
Writing: 18/20
Recommendation: 18/20
Overall: 91/100 or A
Source: Publisher

Three sisters, three extraordinary, life-changing powers!
I hugged my sisters and they fit against my sides like two jigsaw pieces that would never fit anywhere else. I couldn’t imagine ever letting them go again, like releasing them would be to surrender the best parts of myself.
Three sisters share a magical, unshakable bond in this witty high-concept novel from the critically acclaimed author of Audrey, Wait! Around the time of their parents’ divorce, sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood—powers that come in handy navigating the hell that is high school. Powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could they have a greater purpose?
April, the oldest and a bit of a worrier, can see the future. Middle-child May can literally disappear. And baby June reads minds—everyone’s but her own. When April gets a vision of disaster, the girls come together to save the day and reconcile their strained family.
They realize that no matter what happens, powers or no powers, they’ll always have each other. Because there’s one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood
April, May, and June were such amazing sisters and their relationship seemed so realistic. I grew up with two sisters, so I could relate to how they felt. April reminded me a lot of myself. She was constantly stressed about school and never though that she would ever have a boy like her. I still feel this way and understood what April was experiencing. May also reminded me a lot of myself. I felt that I could also relate to her. I think that everyone has felt like they were invisible and no one cared about her. I could also relate to the fact that June wanted to fit in and be popular. I believe that everyone can relate to that feeling sometime in their life. I also loved how their voices didn't blend together and that there The boys were also dreamy. I loved the romances that developed in the book and how they seemed so realistic. I really like the idea of having a contemporary plot with a mix of a supernatural element. I found it to be well balanced and well written. The plot was also funny at times like Benway's last book Audrey, Wait! The sister dynamic was a great part of the plot and also very sweet. April, May, and June were all very original. Benway is an amazing writer and I can't wait for there to be more books from her in the future. I would really recommend this book to sisters or people that loved Audrey, Wait!

1 comment:

  1. I never had sisters - just brothers - but I think I still can appreciate the sibling dynamics :) I'm really excited to read this book!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin