Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

Source: Publisher
We all want to be remembered. Charlotte's destiny is to be Forgotten...
Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.
But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become--her mark on this earth, her very existence--is in jeopardy of disappearing completely.
Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny--no matter how dark the consequences.

I love this book. It was so amazing and emotionally taxing that I had a hard time not crying the whole second half of the book. I also find the whole purpose of the Forgotten to be amazing and beautiful. At the same time, I find it realistic, because their are definitely people that have touched my life with so much light and yet I can hardly remember their names, let alone their faces or voices. I loved that Young balanced that by showing a dark and negative alternative for what Charlotte could do and I found that to be horrifying.
Charlotte is an amazing character. She has so much courage and spirit even as she is about to face such a horrid and unimaginable fate. Harlin is such an amazing guy. He trust Charlotte so much and I loved that she tried so hard to keep him. Her best friend Sarah was awesome and I really liked her. I found Mercy to be amazing, because she adopted Charlotte and will never know all the amazing things that Charlotte was doing. There are not enough words for how sorry I felt for Monroe. He has the hardest time is the book, because he will always remember Charlotte and no one else will. I can't even imagine having to deal with that and not being able to talk about it. The setting of Portland is so rich that it seems to be it's own character and it made me miss that city so much.
A Need So Beautiful is one of those books that you want for it to go on forever, because it is so magical and captivating that every single word matters. Young's writing is gorgeous and emotional. It captures A Need so Beautiful so well that I wanted more and I can't wait for A Want so Wicked to come out, especially after the ending. I recommend that you read this book now. It is clever, original, and so amazing and I have no clue how you could possibly hate this book.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book! Reading your review just reminded me why I was so excited :) Great review too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing advertisements for this book on Goodreads and it looks interesting, and since you loved it so much I think I will give it a try. Thanks for posting this review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin