Sunday, December 2, 2012

Envy by Gregg Olsen

Source: Publisher
New York Times bestselling adult true crime author Gregg Olsen makes his YA debut with Empty Coffin, a gripping new fiction series for teens based on ripped-from-the-headlines stories…with a paranormal touch.
Crime lives--and dies--in the deceptively picture-perfect town of Port Gamble (aka “Empty Coffin”), Washington. Evil lurks and strange things happen--and 15-year-olds Hayley and Taylor Ryan secretly use their wits and their telepathic “twin-sense” to uncover the truth about the town's victims and culprits. 
Envy, the series debut, involves the mysterious death of the twins' old friend, Katelyn. Was it murder? Suicide? An accident? Hayley and Taylor are determined to find out--and as they investigate, they stumble upon a dark truth that is far more disturbing than they ever could have imagined.
Based on the shocking true crime about cyber-bullying, Envy will take you to the edge--and push you right over.

This book takes place in Kitsap County in Washington State. I have kind of lived there my whole life. So, I saw a lot of issues with the setting. The city of Port Gamble was well done, but there were just some issues that I had with mentions of other places in the county. There was also an insane amount of characters that I felt overwhelmed as I was reading. I love 3rd person-omnipresent, but this was too much for me. I constantly got confused between the characters. This definitely applied to the Ryan twins, because there wasn't anything overly distinctive about them. I wish that they had been developed more, because they seemed like cool girls. There were two things about the plot that didn't make sense for me. My younger sister was cyber bullied  The bully accepted a deal that included time in juvie and probation. This made the ending of the book really unrealistic to me, because it happened in the same . Another point is an espresso machine being in the bathroom. The espresso machine that Olsen describes is worth at least one thousand dollars and weights 30-40 lbs. I am sorry, but no one would move a machine of that quality, especially due to a risk of the well running dry. I did enjoy the suspense of the book and found it entertaining. There are a few other things that I found intriguing. I wish that there was more of a focus on just a few characters and I cared about them more. Olsen's writing is great and his voice is definitely unique. It just didn't feel right. I felt like this book was more slated towards adults, I mean there were teens, but the focus didn't remain on them for the majority of the plot.I think if it took place somewhere else, I might have enjoyed. Even with all of the issue, I might give Betrayal a chance. The premise seems a bit more interesting.  I recommend this book to fans of suspense that haven't lived in Kitsap County. Also, I would put this more as a crossover YA, so if you don't enjoy Adult, I would stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin