Friday, October 22, 2010

Losing Faith by Denise Jaden

Rating:
Characters: 18/20
Plot: 17/20
Originality: 18/20
Writing: 18/20
Recommendation: 18/20
Overall: 89/100 or B
Source: Publisher

A terrible secret. A terrible fate. When Brie's sister, Faith, dies suddenly, Brie's world falls apart. As she goes through the bizarre and devastating process of mourning the sister she never understood and barely even liked, everything in her life seems to spiral farther and farther off course. Her parents are a mess, her friends don't know how to treat her, and her perfect boyfriend suddenly seems anything but.
As Brie settles into her new normal, she encounters more questions than closure: Certain facts about the way Faith died just don't line up. Brie soon uncovers a dark and twisted secret about Faith's final night...a secret that puts her own life in danger.
Brie was a regular teen and I found her relationship between her sister and her to be common in teens. I also found the lost feeling that Brie had after her sister's death to be sincere and full of depth. I also loved Alis, who was adorable and I wanted to steal him. He is as social awkward as I can be from homeschooling. Tessa brought a lot of spunk and humor to this book. Reena was just over the top and she scared me for most of the book. The plot was rather slow and the mystery is unraveled slowly. I also liked how faith was a part of this book, but it wasn't preachy or over the top. I am a huge fan of cults, I know that this makes me sound weird. I am fascinated about the inner workings and what drives people to join a cult. I really hope to see more YA books with cults in it. Jaden is a lovely writer that bought something unusual to Young Adults. I would recommend this book to fans of young adult contemporary fiction that are looking for something new.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin