Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Rating:
Characters: 19/20
Plot: 18/20
Originality: 20/20
Writing: 19/20
Recommendation: 19/20
Overall: 96/100 or A
Source: Publisher

“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”
Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?

I really enjoyed Hunger. I have always been interested in the apocalypse as said in the Bible and I really liked how Kessler presented it. I mean imagine of all the four horsemen being an anorexic and also in charge of famine. Lisabeth's mind was perfect for an anorexic. She was calculating everything and constantly planning ahead on what she could eat. It was also shown in her action. I found the plot of this book to be slightly fun, even that it is surrounded by such huge issues, such as famine and eating disorders. It was a really quick and interesting read. I also found this to book to be extremely original. I honestly can't think of a book like this. Kessler's debut in to young adult is stunning. I can't wait to see what else she will be bringing in the next book, Rage.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to getting this one. I sounds awesome. Thanks for the review.
    Megan @ Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin