Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

Rating:
Characters: 17/20
Plot: 18/20
Originality: 18/20
Writing: 18/20
Recommendation: 18/20
Overall: 89/100 or B

Source: Publisher
Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.
Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.
In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.

This book was stunning. It is a book that I believe that everyone should read. Date rape is a subject that we are all aware of, but it seems to be overlooked a lot. Even though that it is one of the most common crimes on a college campus. Whitney doesn't make Alex's plight too preachy or ignored. It is perfectly balanced. Alex is easy to relate to and I loved her voice through out the book. I could feel the guilt and self hate that she was experiencing. Once in a while, she annoyed me a bit, but I still liked her. I had strong emotion about each of the character, some I wanted to hug and others I wanted to punch in the face . I found the plot to be very entertaining and I loved Themis Academy. The setting was easy to picture. I found it to be rather original. I haven't really seen anyone getting punished like in The Mockingbirds and I found it amazing. Whitney created such a strong and engaging book that I was happy to get lost. I recommend this book to fans on Speak. It has the similar message of speaking up for yourself and hoping for the best result. Overall, a very strong and stunning book.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was a really well-written book with an important message, too. I guess I just felt that something was lacking, you know? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin