Friday, February 8, 2013

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Source: Publisher
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous man, Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

America was a very strong and independent protagonist. I also liked that she sang. I wish that she were a bit more memorable and also not as indecisive. Prince Maxon made me swoon and I really adored him. At the same time, Aspen was also appealing. I can't wait for the relationships to develop, so that I can choose. I found the concept of this book to be really intriguing. I have watched a lot of reality TV, so seeing it evolve into a Dystopic future entertained me. I found the caste system to be interesting. It also seems like a less tame and Disney version of The Hunger Games. The plot dragged for a bit in the beginning and I wish that their had been more world building, because it isn't fully explained till about halfway through. Cass' writing was good. I enjoyed the book.  I am really excited to read The Elite, because of the cliffhanger at the end of this book. Overall, this book is a fast and fun read that touches on dystopia. I would recommend this to someone that would like that sort of book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin