Thursday, March 3, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Source: Publisher
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love

Delirium reminded me of several dystopian books that I loved, such as The Hunger Games, Uglies, and Matched. The fact that love is looked as a disease makes it seem even more daunting and important, because people hate it and it is forbidden. I can't imagine not being able to show that I care for my family, friends, and many other people in my life. I can't imagine someone wanting to get rid of the most amazing emotion possible. This premise of this story
was just so amazing.
Lena was a pretty sweet character that was trying to follow society, that is until she meets Alex. I really liked Alex, he was sweet, strong, and motivated. I liked that the romance took time to develop and that it wasn't instantaneous. The book has a few slow parts that felt like the pacing of the book was a bit off. The ending was also rather sudden and definitely left Oliver with somewhere to go in the series. This is definitely not the first book to have love be a disease, but the way that it developed was more enjoyable and gorgeous.
Oliver's writing was gorgeous and enchanting that left me wanting more. She entwined two characters that want the simplicity of love. I would recommend Delirium to anyone that loves Dystopian novels or enjoyed her first book, Before I Fall.

1 comment:

  1. All the characters in this story were well drawn, despite the fact that many of them had to be somewhat lacking in personality because of the nature of the cure's affect on one's personality. The author has done a fabulous job here by letting these people be real, three-dimensional characters while still maintaining their emotionlessness.
    There are so many amazing themes and messages in this story that I almost wanted to read it over again as soon as I finished it. The pacing was fast, and a couple surprises await near the end. It seems as if the ending leaves a tiny speck of room for there to be a sequel, but I haven't read anything to confirm that. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin