Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Origin by Jessica Khoury

 Source: Publisher
Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.
Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.
Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.
There were things that I really enjoyed about Origin, but there were things that I didn't enjoy. I loved that the book was set in the Amazon. The description of the Amazon was lush and beautiful. I really enjoyed that aspect of the book. I also found the scientist compound to be  well developed and like that setting, I could totally picture it. Sadly I didn't like Pia as much I wish I could. I like for my characters to have some sort of flaw and Pia's flaw was that she didn't really have one. She is constantly told that she is perfect and the arrogance that came from it annoyed me. Other people don't respect her and her allowance of that treatment annoyed me. She is also very naive and  I felt that it took her too long to discover the truth. At the same time, I found her feelings about immortality to be interesting and I enjoyed that aspect. I liked Eio at time. He seemed smart unlike the other villagers that just believed whatever the scientist told them. I hated the relationship that came from it. I found it to be unrealistic and definitely too insta-love. The plot was also really slow and predictable. I really wish that the premise had been executed differently. There was a lot of promise in this book, but it fell a bit short. I think that part of my disappointment might have  been that this was promoted as a Breathless Read, so I expected it to be fantastic. It was an okay read, but be warned that it is slow and much isn't revealed till the end. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. This doesn't sound like a book for me based on the complaints you had. I'm glad you liked aspects of it though!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this but, still haven't read it though. I'll give it a shot, although I'm hoping I enjoy it more than you did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Every comment creates a smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin