I had dinner with a few YA authors and we got talking about what we would love to see in YA and that really got me thinking, here are a few things that I would love to see:
1. More Older YA. I am nineteen and applying to college. There are only a handful of books that I can think of that have MCs that seriously want to college or are about after high school. Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson, If I Stay by Gayle Forman, Hate List by Jennifer Brown, and Tell Me A Secret by Holly Cupala are some of the books that I can think of.
2. Mysteries. I love a good Mystery, like All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab and The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. Dani Noir by Nova Ren Suma is more middle grade, but a great example. Make something that is Veronica Mars-ish. Also Spies are kick ass too.
3. Time Travel. I can't really think of any YA books that have time travel, but as a Doctor Who fan, I want to see something like this. Spaceships wouldn't be bad either.
4. Sick books! Okay, they are sad and depressing, but they are amazing! Before I Die by Jenny Downham and Forever Changes by Brendan Haplin.
5. Unicorns... and Zombies. I love Unicorns and I will admit that I enjoy zombies sometimes. I would love to see some originality like Diana Petersfeud and Carrie Ryan's book. And there is no such thing as too many unicorn books.
My friend Khy, also did a post about this. So what do you want to see in books?